Portrait of Aurelio Galfetti © AMAA
Aurelio Galfetti is one of the acknowledged protagonists of the new architectural developments that have characterised the Ticino Canton in the second half of the twentieth century, as Frank Werner pointed out in an exhaustive historical and critical review (1990), and as had already been decreed by the now legendary exhibition "Tendenzen" of 1975, opening the floodgates to the international debate on these events and drawing attention to the small group of architects who gave rise to the so-called "Ticino school"... >>


Biography
born in Biasca on 2 April.   1936
 
High School diploma, Lugano.   1954
 
degree in architecture at the Federal Polytechnic School of Zurich, under the supervision of Paul Waltenspühl. Opened a studio in Lugano and began to collaborate with architects such as Flora Ruchat-Roncati, Livio Vacchini, Rino Tami, Mario Botta, and Luigi Snozzi.   1960
 
opened a studio in Bellinzona. Member of the Federation of Swiss Architects.   1976
 
member of the Bund Deutscher Architekten.   1977
 
guest tutor at the Ecole Polytecnique Fédérale of Lausanne.   1984
 
guest tutor at the Ecole d'Architecture of Paris - Belleville UP8.   1987
 
opened a new atelier in Geneva with Athanase Spitsas and Thierry Estoppey.   1991
 
opened new studio in Lugano.   1992-93
 
with Mario Botta, and with the support of the Rt. Hon. Buffi and other leading figures, founded the Academy of Architecture in Mendrisio, University of Italian Switzerland, becoming its first director.   1996
 
Portrait of Aurelio Galfetti © AMAA