Portrait of Carlo Mollino © AMPT
Born in Turin on 6 May 1905, Carlo Mollino was an extremely versatile and unpredictable man who became one of the most original architects in Italy in the twentieth century. His most important works include the Società Ippica Torinese building and the Lago Nero sledge-lift station. >>


Biography
 
born in Turin on 6 May.   1905
 
Took surveys of rural architecture in Valle d'Aosta, the basis of his future Alpine projects.   1930
 
Graduated in Architecture at the Regia Scuola Superiore di Architettura of the Accademia Albertina of Turin.   1931
 
Worked in the studio of his father Eugenio, an engineer, acquiring technical knowledge and practice in the realisation of works.   1931-36
 
Took part in many competitions. In particular, in 1933 he won the first prize in the competition for the headquarters of the Federazione Agricoltori of Cuneo, which would become his first work.   1932-46
 
Met the painter Italo Cremona in the Turin offices of Il Selvaggio, edited by Mino Maccari, to which he contributed. Their friendship was characterised by shared interests and tastes.   1931
 
Frequented the writers Carlo Levi, Albino Galvano, and Gino Levi Montalcini, discussing literary issues.   1935-40
 
Met the painter Piero Martina and the photographer Riccardo Moncalvo. Together they experimented with and discussed photography.   1937
 
Built the Societą Ippica Torinese, which marked a turn from the canons of modern architecture, in the same direction that Niemeyer would follow in Brazil.   1938
Appointed to teach the course in interior architecture, furnishing and decoration at the Faculty of Architecture of the Politecnico of Turin.   1950-52
His furniture obtained great success at the exhibition of Italian craft design at the Brooklyn Museum in New York.   1951
Professor of Architectonic Composition at the Faculty of Architecture of the Politecnico of Turin.   1953
Member of the Organising Committee of the XI Triennale of Milan.   1957
Member of the Academy of St. Luke.   1970
Died in Turin on 27 August.   1973